mardi 8 juin 2010

Daouda Ndoye, Bambine, Fatoumata


1.

It’s been kind of weird walking around Senegal introducing myself as "Mack". First of all, my name is really difficult for the Senegalese to say. They have trouble making the ‘short A’ sound and end up somewhere around "Meck". Even when they get it right, they just seem confused. I ran into the same thing when I was studying in Paris; everyone thinks of “mec” which translates from French to something like “guy” or “anonymous guy”. They couldn’t handle it.

A guy at work heard my real name was David and dubbed me Daouda, the Senegalese version of David. Also, my host family insisted that I inherit their last name to complete the picture - Daouda Ndoye (pronounced Dowda Ndoy). So that’s what they call me. It sounds kind of silly when they’re said together, but so does Mack McConnell, so no harm done.


2.

My host family got a pet sheep. She makes tons of noise when we eat and doesn’t like hugs yet. Hopefully she’ll warm up soon. Maybe she’s never seen a white person before?

I named her Bamba before I knew it was a girl sheep. Because Bamba is a Senegalese man’s name, I got clearance to change it to Bambine which the whole family seems to dig. Oh yea, and she’s pregnant. I’m pretty sure the afro-lamb-babes will be here before I leave.


3.

Apart from getting my first African name and my first African pet, I also got my first African outfit. Fatoumata Niagne, a seamstress I am trying to help with a loan through Zidisha, gave it to me as a token of appreciation. I think it’s a pretty cool looking outfit on its own – kind of “african party boy” thing - but it was especially rewarding to get it from her because she appreciates what I’m doing.


2 commentaires:

  1. Daouda - The new/temproary name will have to grow on me, so I will continue to use "Mack" in the meantime. I guess that expecting that the Senegalese would understand the context, "Mack, like the sailing race," or "Mack, like the truck," is probably a little obscure, so stick with Daouda.

    As for Bambine, Ashley is already looking into import restrictions that might allow you to bring one of the little lambkins back for her. I told her that it was not going to happen, but she can be a little tenacious.

    Keep up the good work, and figure out how to get that seamstress a loan, already. Her work is beautiful, and she sounds like a pretty shrewd businessperson. Saddle up, boy! - Pop

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com

    RépondreSupprimer